- Prepare the required audition materials.
- Complete the Student Audition Form and give it to your teacher along with $5 for the audition fee.
- Record the audition materials. Each exercise should be saved in a separate file. Voice, wind, and percussion players will upload 4 files each. String players will upload 5 files each. They must be saved or converted to MP3 format. DO NOT state your name and school. DO NOT say the name of your solo. It will be entered on your registration form.
- Your teacher will register you on-line and will upload your auditions.
- Make sure the students have access to the audition materials.
- Collect the Student Audition Form from each student.
- Record the students' auditions. Each exercise should be saved in a separate file. Voice, wind, and percussion players will upload 4 files each. String players will upload 5 files each. They must be saved or converted to MP3 format. Files must be smaller that 2MB in size or you will get an error. See below for recording helps and hints.
- Register your students on the IMEA Web Site. Registration will open August 14, 2017.
- You must be a member of NAfME/IMEA to log-in. You will log-in with your NAfME # and your last name.
- The first time you log-in you will need to update your contact information.
- Click on the "Add School" button to add all the schools you teach at that will have students auditioning for All-State.
- After you have added your schools, you are ready to start adding students by clicking on "Add Student"
- Use the Student Audition Form that the student filled out to complete the information requested. Please double check all information. If you place your student in the wrong category they will be disqualified.
- After you have added a student you can upload their audition files. Click on the speaker with the red X and follow the instructions. Be sure to listen to the file after it has been uploaded to make sure it's right.
- Continue adding students until they are all entered.
- When you are ready to pay the student fees, click on the "Pay Audition Fees" link in the lower right hand corner.
- Choose the school that you are paying the fees for, then click "Next."
- All of the students that have registered from that school will be shown. This will include band, choir, and orchestra students. Select the check box next to the names of all the students that you are paying for and click "Next."
- The Fee Payment page will show you all the names of the students that you are paying for. Please double check it for accuracy.
- The preferred method of payment is by credit or debit card through PayPal. You do not have to have a PayPal account.
- If you need to pay by check, print two copies. Keep one for your records and mail the other copy, with your check, to the address given on the form. When you are finished click "Cancel."
- To pay by credit/debit card, print one copy for your records then click the "Pay Now" button.
- You will be taken to the PayPal site. If you have a PayPal account, log-in and follow the payment instructions. If you do not have a PayPal account, click the "Don't have a PayPal account?" link and follow the payment instructions.
- REMEMBER!!! Auditions must be uploaded by midnight October 6, 2017. All fees must be paid or postmarked by October 16, 2017. Students whose fees have not been paid at that time will be removed from the system. No effort on the part of IMEA will be made to collect the non-payment of audition fees.
- NOTE: Many audition are incorrectly uploaded. Common problems are switched etudes, combined etudes, registering in the wrong category, introduction of the student, and missing files. Files uploaded incorrectly will not be fixed and will be disqualified from consideration. There just isn't enough time in the day to track down all the mistakes that could easily be fixed by directors taking the time to proof the uploads!
If you are total a novice at recording on your computer try to find someone around you that can help. Usually there will be student who will know what they are doing.
MP3 files should be recorded at the bit rate of 128kbps. Some programs call this the resolution. There should be a setting for it on your digital recorder or in the audio program that you record into.
A simple and free program that you can download to record with is Audacity. It works on both Mac and Windows, is easy to use, and is very versatile. Click on the link to go to the download page. The Audacity Tutorials are also very good for learning the basics of recording. You can find them HERE.
If you are on a Mac and want to use an external microphone, you will need a separate USB interface. One of the cheapest and easiest to use is the iMic by Griffin Technologies. Cost is between $30-$50 at most computer stores.
To convert a different file format to MP3 using iTunes:
- Start iTunes and open the Preferences
- Under General look for the Import Settings button
- Click on that and change the Import Using menu to MP3 Encoder. Make sure that you have "High Quality (160 kbps)" selected under "Setting". If you use the "Higher Quality (190 kbps)" setting, your file may be too large and will not import.
- Click OK to save the settings and exit back to iTunes
- Right click on the file you want to convert (or Control click on the Mac) and select Create MP3 Version
- Locate the new file and drag it to the desktop. It should have a .mp3 at the end of the file name. This is the file you want to upload for the audition.
- Contact Wayne Millett the Web Master if you are totally lost and need help.